Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Saying Goodbye to Santa Maria in Cappella

I am truly going to miss coming home to Santa Maria in Cappella every day. The sun shining on the trees and flowers in the courtyard when I come home in the evening from a long day in the city is an image that I will never forget. I like saying “ciao” to the doorman every time I leave and come back. It was so convenient of being able to walk down the street to the grocery store, go get gelato, or have dinner at a great restaurant, in one of the most enviable neighborhoods in the entire city. Romans could not believe that I live in Trastevere as a student, and the amazement in their expressions made me that much more appreciative to live here.

I will always have vivid memories of our apartment and our neighborhood after having spent seven weeks here. It really did start to feel like home, especially during the last few weeks. Even though seven weeks is a short time, I will remember Santa Maria in Cappella as a place where I felt comfortable and familiar. Before coming here, I never thought that I would ever feel this way in a foreign city, and I am so glad that I had this experience.

No comments: