Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Follow-up on San Luigi dei Francesi

Last week, I posted about the Church of San Luigi dei Francesi, where three famous Caravaggio paintings hang in one of the chapels. After visiting the Piazza Scala today, I had the perfect opportunity to visit the church, which was a short walk away. Unfortunately, I forgot my guidebook and went to find the church by myself. I could not remember the street name, but knew that it was about a block away from Piazza Navona. After asking two police officers (who gave me conflicting directions) and an American tourist, I found the church.
The nave of the church is roped off, so I strolled down the aisle to the right of the altar first, looking at the five chapels on the side. I circled back to the entrance, then down the aisle to the left of the altar. The three Caravaggio paintings are in the last chapel on the left, and I wanted to save the best for last. The rest of the church was beautiful, but I had my mind set on seeing these paintings.
I caught a glimpse of The Martyrdom of Saint Matthew first, as it hangs on the right wall of the chapel. As I got closer, I could see this painting as well as St. Matthew and the Angel and The Calling of Saint Matthew all at once. I have studies these paintings extensively in art history class, and I was completely impressed with them in real life. The colors are vivid, and the paintings’ placement next to each other makes them look even bolder.
I would definitely recommend seeing this church and these three paintings. Even if it is just a detour from visiting Piazza Navona, a quick stop inside is worth it.

No comments: