Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Follow-up on Today's Walk

Our group walk today followed Courtney’s tour of markets. The walk that she outlined stopped first at the market in Testaccio, about two minutes away from our TAs’ apartments. I have visited this indoor market once before and it was the first market I went to in Rome. On my first visit, I walked away with about a pound of provolone cheese, when I only really wanted a piece, because asking for an amount in Italian is very confusing. The entire market is indoors, which provided a nice break from the sun. Monday was boiling hot, even when our group met at nine o’clock in the morning. We walked around the market, but did not take long. I was hesitant to buy anything that I might see later at another market. The stands mainly consisted of fruits and vegetables, cheeses, meats, and bread. A small selection of clothes, shoes, and bags is located near the entrance.

The second stop was at the market in Campo di Fiori. This outdoor market takes up the entire piazza with a much larger selection of produce and items to buy. I felt more comfortable browsing the different stands outdoors with many more people doing the same thing. This market is known for drawing in more tourists, probably because it covers a large space, in a well known piazza. The outdoor atmosphere entices locals and tourists to walk around and shop, or just look. After walking from end to end to get a feel for everything there was to offer, I was drawn to the tables of jewelry, scarves, and bags, then to the stands of Italia t-shirts. After getting a couple gifts for friends and family and a couple of grocery items for myself, I was satisfied with my market experience. I have not yet had the opportunity to go this market until now since we are usually in class when it is open in the morning, so I was happy to finally have the experience.

No comments: