Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Renoir in Rome


When I think about my topic of old and new aspects of Rome and how they combine with each other, I never considered that museums could fall into this category. Going to the Renoir exhibit made me realize that gathering artwork and placing it in a museum is placing the old in a new context. A large amount, but not all of Renoir's paintings were gathered together for this exhibit, held at the Complesso del Vittoriano (next to the Forum). The paintings were displayed in a two story gallery. The second story consisted of a balcony-like area that could be reached from steps on the first level, so the space had high ceilings and was very open. I took a picture from the second story before I realized pictures weren't allowed.
The works exhibited were completed over the course of Renoir's lifetime and are usually dispersed among museums and other collections. Bringing them together in one exhibit brings the past into the present for museum-goers to experience all at once.

I definitely recommend stopping in to see this exhibit. It takes only about an hour and is a nice break from the hot sun. It costs 7,50 euros for a student admission and the exhibit is showing until june 29.

No comments: