Monday, May 26, 2008

Al Forno di Travestere

Grocery shopping here is a different experience than at home. The stores are organized differently and there are only a few chain "supermarkets". The other day at Standa, one of the larger chain markets, the cashier got angry with me when I asked about a price. Then, she accidently rang up an item that did not belong to the person behind me. Instead of simply taking the item off, she grabbed the plastic conveyer belt separater and waved it in the person's face with exasperation.

The small market down the street from our apartment is a much more enjoyable and convenient place to shop. It is called Al Forno di Travestere, located on Via dei Genovesi. One older man at the counter rang up my groceries, another helped me bag, and a third stood chatting with the other two. Having interactions, like buying things in a store, with non-English speaking Italians is often frustrating. These older men spoke no English at all and could tell I was American, but instead of getting frustrated, they smiled and gave me a friendly "grazie, ciao!"


(Via dei Genovesi, where the market is located)

1 comment:

Tom Benson said...

Paige, it's great to see you growing more at home in the city. I hope you'll keep exploring the local markets, both in your neighborhood and in and around the Campo dei Fiori. There is a wonderful Forno at the northern end of the Campo dei Fiori -- try the bread and focaccia. It's a friendly place and one of the best bakeries in the city.