Saturday, May 17, 2008

The Combination of Old and New in Rome


Welcome to my Rome blog!

For those of you reading from outside of the CAS program, I will be posting over the next seven weeks about my travels, things I have discovered, and themes that I continually notice as I study and live in Rome. This is a beautiful and ancient city that is unlike any city in the U.S.

Everyday experiences that we take for granted at home are appreciated differently here. As you walk from place to place in the city there are ancient monuments, ruins, amazing architecture, and the frenzy of Italian life all around. One of the first things I noticed was how apparent it is that the city has been in a continual state of change for thousands of years. At the same time, though, new, modern aspects of life are incorporated into the culture in a way that accommodates the past and what already exists. The first example that I noticed was the transportation system, specifically the vehicles, traffic patterns, and extremely narrow streets. The buildings and many of the roads were in place before cars were one of the primary modes of transportation. Instead of rebuilding roads and constructing buildings to accommodate travel as we do in the U.S., cars were made small to fit in narrow streets and many people drive vespas.
Aspects of modern life seem to be almost out of place here because the majority of the city has existed for hundreds or thousands of years, and functioned without the influence of what we consider modern life. I am sure that I will continue to notice the combination of old and new over the next few weeks.

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures in my first few blogs. My computer adapter blew out so I am unable to upload my pictures and will be posting from other computers. As soon as it is fixed I will put up pictures!

No comments: