Sunday, May 18, 2008

Local Color




I am starting to get more of a feel for how our neighborhood changes throughout the day. On Saturday evening we went to get dinner again, stopping in a restaurant to get a panini to-go rather than looking for a market. We took a different way back home and found many streets where local people gather to have a drink and a bite to eat at this time of the evening. Instead of sitting and having dinner like the tourists I saw the other day, they stand outside and talk with each other. I was so envious, and wished I spoke the language so I could use the neighborhood in the way that they do. I also noticed more types of shops, like an antique furniture store, a book shop, and a wedding dress shop. It is hard to tell where some doors lead without going in because not every store has a sign outside. The tiny doors and windows only let passers-by on the street get a quick glimpse inside. Residences are also very private. I can tell that this neighborhood houses a lot of people, but the narrow streets and private doors to shops and homes create a quiet, calm atmosphere.

No comments: